This post is the conclusion of the issue I discovered after installing SharePoint 2010 August 2010 Cumulative Updates (http://blog.hametbenoit.info/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=179 and http://blog.hametbenoit.info/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=162).
To remind you, after installing the August CU, all search results from Internet facing web site (anonymous access) where not completed; there were no Office documents shown.
As I thought it was a regression from the CU, I opened a support case and I had a workaround (http://blog.hametbenoit.info/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=162) while the Product Group was investigating.
So, I received the investigation results, and I have to say it’s a shame!!!
Indeed, if your SharePoint 2010 meets the following, you will be in trouble:
The Product Group said this is not a bug but a correction of a security issue. Indeed, in this case you were publishing potential unwanted information coming from your Office document metadata. The CU is solving this problem (by the way, this also apply to SharePoint 2007 as latest CU also includes this correction).
It’s a shame as Microsoft is decision on what a customer can published on his internet site.
This blog is using tracking code for analytics purpose.
No personal data are stored and maintained.