Recently, I started to configure my Exchange 2010 Server as UM server.

To do that, I’m using Trixbox as a software IPBX.

I successfully configured my IPBX as well the Exchange UM role (dial plan, user UM enabled…).

During my test I was able to reach the Exchange auto attendant or leave voice message, but voice message were not delivered onto the user mailbox.

I started my troubleshooting steps by viewing the Application event log an the Exchange server and discover the following error log:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchange Unified Messaging
Date:          05/02/2011 14:14:12
Event ID:      1423
Task Category: UMCore
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      <server name>
Description:
The Unified Messaging server encountered an error while trying to process the message with header file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\UnifiedMessaging\voicemail\b6f2ea99-9f99-4b64-99f4-8b6111365bd2.txt". Error details: "Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmissionException: Submission to the Hub Transport server failed. The operation will be retried. —> Microsoft.Exchange.Net.ExSmtpClient.UnexpectedSmtpServerResponseException: Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 220, actual: 500, whole response: 500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command
 
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Net.ExSmtpClient.SmtpTalk.CheckResponse(ServerResponseInfo response, Int32 expectedCode)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Net.ExSmtpClient.SmtpTalk.Command(SmtpChunk[] chunks, SmtpCommandType command, Int32 expectedCode)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Net.ExSmtpClient.SmtpTalk.StartTls()
   at Microsoft.Exchange.Net.ExSmtpClient.SmtpClient.Submit(Boolean disableDelayedAck)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmissionHelper.SubmitMessage(MessageItem message, String senderAddress, String recipientAddress, OutboundConversionOptions submissionConversionOptions, InternalExchangeServer smtpServer)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmissionHelper.SubmitMessage(MessageItem message, String senderAddress, String recipientAddress, OutboundConversionOptions submissionConversionOptions, String requestId)
   — End of inner exception stack trace —

Server stack trace:
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmissionHelper.HandleTransientSmtpFailure(Exception e, InternalExchangeServer smtpServer, String recipientAddress)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmissionHelper.SubmitMessage(MessageItem message, String senderAddress, String recipientAddress, OutboundConversionOptions submissionConversionOptions, String requestId)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SmtpSubmitStage.InternalDoSynchronousWork()
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SynchronousPipelineStageBase.SynchronousWorkDelegate.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.SynchronousPipelineStageBase.EndSynchronousWork(IAsyncResult r)"

 

Googling was not pretty helpful as many of results were not related to my issue. Anyway the error message was, in some way, clear as it seemed to be an authentication issue.

So I take a look at my Default receive connector settings to first check the authentication methods enabled.

I discovered there was 2 authentication methods not enabled: Exchange Server Authentication and

Externally Secured.

As I doubt that Externally Secured was the failure origin, I enabled the Exchange Server Authentication and tried again, and… IT WORKED Open-mouthed smile, voice message were now delivered onto the mailbox.

image